As much as I love the advancement of social media and technology, the downsides and superficial images you find on platforms like Instagram can be especially damaging. For young people and those growing up around fitness personalities and girls on flamingo pool blow ups, you have to step back and question, are these people for real?
It’s all fun and games if you’re fully aware but how ridiculous and damaging can some posts be? This one in particular made me think…
With over 2,000 likes on this picture alone and 20,800 followers, this girl has insta-famous sussed to a T. She travels, she’s beautiful and she looks like she’s living the dream life! I love looking at feeds like hers that are full of travel and inspiration but this picture baffles me. What exactly is it saying?
• That best friends should brunch topless?
• Ah best friends should brunch standing up?
• Best friends should brunch after a photo shoot and after poses around their brunch food?
• Best friends should have no actual room for a plate on their table
• Best friends should share one glass of champagne (lol never)
• Best friends should brunch with 6 plates of food in front of them then assuming hours at the gym because as far as I’m aware, you can’t have your cake and eat it, and be in such good shape still.
• Best friends should then post all of the above on to social media
I don’t know. Maybe it’s all a bit of fun but the amount of people writing ‘goals’ in the comments makes me wonder how many people think this is seriously real life and achievable. Are we able to distinguish between reality and a photo-shoot, Photoshop and set-up shots? Are we aware of what’s authentic? Would they be eating brunch like that without Instagram? Would we be the same people without social media?
Am I overthinking things? Or am I eating brunch wrong?
Let me know what you think about the use of social media, being authentic and any experiences/thoughts you might have!
Thanks for reading guys!
Have a good day
Follow my South American adventures on Instagram @vanishamay and travel related blogs in the travel section 🙂