Reading time: 5 minutes
When did I go? 24th June – 1st July 2017
Where did I go? Santiago, Valparaiso, San Pedro De Atacama
How much money was spent? Between £200 -£250 max
Highlights: Bus drive through the Andes, wandering the streets in Bellavista and Valparaiso and visiting the desert town of San Pedro De Atacama.
After being stuck in Argentina due to the border being closed because of heavy snow, we were really happy to finally arrive in Chile! First stop was a shopping day to buy warmer clothes in Santiago, and after plus a bit of sun, we were happy gals again. Chilly Chile was really enjoyable with lots to see and do! We didn’t do any day tours and spent little money so it worked out really well especially because there’s so much to do for free which was great for our budgets! Thanks to the friendly faces and people we met along the way, our time in Chile was full of fun times all round! Here’s my little list of my fave things that I recommend for you to do when you visit Chile….
- Take a bus from Mendoza, Argentina to Santiago, Chile. The bus drives through the Andes mountains and round winding roads with no edges and steep drops. It was pretty crazy but the views were phenomenal and the ticket was pretty cheap (£25!). I highly recommend it!
- Wander the streets! In Santiago and Valparaiso there’s an overwhelming amount of street art, coloured houses and graffiti. In Santiago visit Bella Vista and just spend the afternoon wandering around and enjoying the art. It’s pretty cool stuff.
- Hang out with the locals! We were really lucky because we stayed with my friend in Santiago where we all spent the night drinking wine, eating cake and practising our Acroyoga. But even in Valparaiso, we went out with a few other travellers to the local bars and spent the night drinking there. Hostels are a really great place to meet people and hang out where the locals would. Spend time venturing out, making friends and drinking their national drink of Pisco Sour!
- Visit the desert and San Pedro De Atacama. We didn’t stay here for long because it was just a stop before we did the 3 day tour to Uyuni, Bolivia, but the pretty little town was like nothing I’d seen before. Set in the desert and surrounded by mountains, the town literally looks like something from a movie set. We took a long 24 hour bus journey which ended up being a lot longer due to a fault with the bus but the drive through the desert was pretty cool, the stars at night were amazing and we saw some of the best sunsets that filled the entire sky. Depending when you go, take warm clothes. The desert reached temperatures of -15 degrees while we were there, it was insanely cold!
I’d love to visit again to explore more of the country and visit Patagonia which was too cold for this trip. Chile is a cool country and the people are lovely. It literally has everything from snowy mountain regions, big cities, seaside towns and desert life so go book a ticket and explore!
Here’s a little list of some of the places we stayed:
- Hostal Atacama Tatais in San Pedro de Atacama http://www.booking.com/Share-sFrYKY
- Hostal Lincanantay in Valparaiso https://www.booking.com/hotel/cl/hostal-licanantay.es.html#important_info
You can use this code to get £10 off when booking through booking.com 🙂 booking.com/s/vanish15
Let me know if you plan on visiting Chile or if you want to share any thoughts or your own experiences!
Follow my adventure here on instagram @vanishamay
Thanks for reading guys!