“You’re so happy all the time!” “You’re always smiling!”
These are my favourite kinds of compliments because it’s exactly the kind of person I want to be, and I’d like to think there’s power in positivity and being a happy person (10/10 cheesiness scale, I know!). Also, it would make no sense for me to go in to my dream jobs with any other kind of attitude. I want to work with people in crisis, conflict and poverty, people who perhaps aren’t feeling so positive and rightly so, because for so many, life can be cruel, scary and unfair. It’ll be my job to fill their lives with hope, positivity and hopefully some kind of happiness. Can’t do that being Mopey McMoperson now, can I?
But lately I’ve been thinking a lot about positivity, and something somebody said to me once about how it’s not normal to be so happy, and how not everything has a positive side. Which is partly true (and partly poo).
Of course, I’m fully aware that life isn’t always rainbows and sunshine. I’m not a robot. I feel other emotions too, like every other person on this planet. Ignorance makes me angry. Hearing people eat makes me mad. I hate being ignored. And more serious things like the fact that half the world are obese and the other half are starving to death, makes me extremely angry and unhappy a lot of the time. The world is full of inequality, and people who actually voted for Donald Trump. The world can be a stupid, stressful place for sure. But this is why I say screw you to anyone that tries to dump on my positivity. Life’s hard enough, let me try at least.
“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place” – Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
And I congratulate everyone who fights every day to be more positive, and who choose the good over the bad. Congratulations for not letting your heart turn to stone.
Choose to be positive and happy because there’s hope. Hope that if today isn’t so good, tomorrow will be better. Hope that for every sad moment, there will be happier moments. Hope that for every Donald Trump, there’s a Mother Teresa. And that’s all so much better than being angry at the world, people, or yourself. There’s a point in positivity. Plus, life is amazing, we’re completely blessed, and you probably deserve happiness every single day (depending on who’s reading this lol) jokes. We all deserve happiness.
So how can you try to be more positive?
Here’s five top tips!-
1. Surround yourself with positive people. Sounds simple but it’s difficult to realise how much someone might be affecting you and dragging you down. Tell them people bye and find better.
2. Enjoy the little things, and do more of what you love. Bake a cake, paint your room, grow a plant (lol generic list of things to do that I do none of! Idk what you like ok), find your passions and take time out for yourself to invest in them.
3. Identify the negativity and try to turn it into something positive. Things will make you angry or upset, figure out why. How can it be changed? Can it be changed? And if not, learn to let it go.
4. Have hope. Life is a long time. Most things in life are temporary, feelings, situations, people. Not every day can be a bad day.
5. SMILE! And make other people smile. And laugh. Laugh every single goddamn day.